Side Effects of Long-term consumption of Medications
Generally, all medicines show their after effects. But few individuals don't either feel the after effects, or they are able to cope up with them.
Just have a look at the following points and think about them:
- Generally the advantages of the medication are more essential than the minor after effects.
- These side effects may vanish after your intake of the medicine for a while.
- If the side effects trouble you further and you are confused whether to continue the medicine intake, then consult your doctor. He/she would change your medication or lower your dosage.
Contact the other emergency helpline services immediately if you experience the following after the intake of a medicine:
- Get hives.
- Have difficulty in breathing.
- Lose consciousness or faint.
- Have swollen lips, face, throat or tongue.
These are the symptoms of severe hypersensitive reactions to the medication.
Will you experience side effects?
Any person can feel the after effects from a medication, but there is no other option to confirm is a medication will show side effects for you or not. Usually, younger adults are less susceptible to the side effects than the older adults.
Side effects may be observed when your medicine intake starts, the dosage is altered or the consumption of medicine is stopped. Many a times, a medication which you have been consuming for a long time may unexpectedly cause after effects or side effects may discontinue.
Prevention of side effects
There are several things which can be done for the prevention of side effects. Before the intake of any kind of medicine, consult your pharmacist or doctor about:
- The probable side effects of the drug and those that might affect you.
- Whether they may disappear on their own.
- When can you see the start of the side effects?
- Whether anything can be done for their prevention such as, intake of a drug with food or at a particular time of day may aid this.
- When and whom should you contact for help.
- What can be done to manage mild after effects?
- Whether you can consume alcohol during the intake of the medicine.
Common Side-effects and their remedies
- Constipation - Drink lots of fluids, workout hard and eat whole-grain cereals, bran, high-fiber vegetables and fruits like beans, apples, broccoli and prunes.
- Diarrhea - Consume low-fiber foods like yogurt and rice.
- Dry mouth - Drink water frequently and chew a sugarless gum or candy.
- Dizziness - Rise up slowly from lying down or sitting.
- Loss of appetite - Eat more frequently and take a walk before eating.
- Headaches - These may disappear after some time.
- Upset Stomach - Eat small portions of meal than 2 or 3 larger portions. Consume bland foods like plain bread.
- Nervousness - This would vanish after some time.
- Sleep issues - Avoid alcohol, caffeine or nicotine.
- Sexual problems - Ask for alternative medicine or different dosage from your doctor.